With less than two years before Barack Obama leaves his position as President of the United States, the time is approaching when we will be comparing his legacy as Commander-in-Chief to those of other presidents. Of course, there are many who consider his performance to be nothing more than questionable at best. Throughout the years, people have voiced an obvious dislike towards the president based upon race and perceived notions pertaining to his beliefs and values. There have been members of the House and Senate calling for his impeachment; and there have even been people in the media who have voiced a disapproval of him as a father and husband. Despite the disfavor, surely one cannot argue his ability to repeatedly bring about effective change. Listed below are only a few of over 280 accomplishments of President Barrack Obama.
- He created the post of Chief Performance Officer, whose job is to make operations more efficient to save the federal government money.
- On his first full day of office, he froze White House salaries.
- He pushed through and signed the Democratic-sponsored American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as "the stimulus package."
- He held the first-ever online town hall from the White House, and took questions from the public.
- The president appointed more openly gay officials than anyone in history demonstrating his stance on equal rights.
- He expanded funding for the Violence Against Women Act.
- The Obama Department of Justice made significant reductions in drug sentencing guidelines for current prisoners. The final step in 30 years towards reducing the highest prison population in the world.
- He ordered and oversaw the Navy SEALS operation that killed Osama bin Laden.
- He funded the Department of Veterans Affairs with an extra $1.4 billion to improve veteran's services.
- The present oversaw the expansion of the Pell Grants program to expand opportunity for low and middle income students to go to college.
- He reformed the student loan programs to make it possible for students to refinance at a lower rate.
- He helped steer the Affordable Care Act which dropped the number of uninsured Americans by over 22%.
Certainly, any reader can take a look at this list and recall an achievement that is not listed here. There have been presidents who are remembered solely for leading the United States through wars, there have been those who are remembered for being an advocate for human rights, and there are also those known for being a pioneer for economic reform. President Obama has achieved all of those feats during his tenure, in addition to numerous other significant works. Without a doubt, it can be argued that Barack Obama is one of the most effective presidents in United States history. However, one most make the effort to remove the disdain and obvious prejudices in order to see it.