Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Aubrey Drake Graham: Leading The Charge For Sensitive Brothers

"Started from the bottom now we're here...Started from the bottom now my whole team effin' here.."  Oh yess!!  Those were the lyrics that came to mind when I thought of hip-hop artist and future R&B mega star, Drake. Huh? What? R&B mega star?  Well sure, why not?  I already have a prediction from a reliable source that Drake's next project will be an EP of R&B songs.  You know...because he's so preciously sensitive.

I'm not going to go into a full literary rant on the uber-sensitivity of our beloved hip-hop star/singer who goes by the name of Drake.  I mean, I like Aubrey Drake Graham. I have no issues with the multi-talented artist. I mean...just because he has a knack for returning to past dreary relationships in order to strike up subject matter on his albums? Hey, that's cool with me. There's a level of softness and sensitivity which flows through my veins as well, ya know. Well, actually it doesn't; but still, I can relate to our friend, Drake, on matters of relationship scarring. Well, actually I can't...But I'm certainly willing to try.

The point I'm trying to make is that sensitive brothers are making a comeback dammit!  And it's for real this time. Ralph Tresvant kept it going for as long as he could.  Chico Debarge tried to add a little toughness to the "sensitive man" courtesy of an extended prison stay; and now, at a time when R&B singers are using hip-hop tracks to attract the ear of music listeners, our incredibly soft buddy, Drake, is saying, hey there, sensitive brotha, you need not hide... I'll carry the baton for ya.

And what a baton it is...fully laced with rhinestones and glitter; and it's oddly salted with the tears that rolled down Drake's face in the midst of a confession of relationships gone bad. Or is it the same relationship that he's yet to get over?  Or is the pain felt when two of the hottest women in the industry, Rihanna and Nicki Minaj, want no part of a Drake relationship because of his abundant degree of softness? Or is it the pain that comes from....  well, you know what?  It doesn't matter.  The point of the matter is that I'm with you Drake. Teach me how to be as awesomely sensitive as you.  No, really! Because dammit, I wanna relate to the new wave of super-sensitive brothers. You know, like Kanye and Frank Ocean and Justin Bieber. Well...on second thought, no thanks Drake.  There's been a recent change.  You see, my youngest niece just texted me a photo of her new kitten, Emily, rolling around in a basket of yarn. (sniff) So uhmm... (sniff) I guess I'm ready for that second dose of Drake's new album now.